Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center is a proud beneficiary of the LI2Day Walk to Fight Breast Cancer
Women's Imaging / Health
At Brookhaven Women's Imaging Services, our mission is to provide our customers with the highest quality care utilizing the latest imaging technology. We are dedicated to providing women with a comfortable, compassionate and caring imaging experience. We now offer a revolutionary detection technology called tomosynthesis. Breast tomosynthesis is the most advanced and effective tool for detecting breast cancer in its earliest stages. Similar to digital mammography, breast tomosynthesis has been shown to be superior to the traditional technique in clinical studies.
Using tomosynthesis, medical director Arlene Sussman, M.D., and her breast imaging team can examine breast tissue layer by layer, creating a "3-dimensional mammogram" that makes fine details more clearly visible and makes early detection possible, which can help save lives.
Our facility has earned the honor of an ACR Accredited Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. Our professional staff features radiologists who are board certified and highly experienced in breast imaging and breast intervention, and technologists certified in breast mammography and breast ultrasound. Some of the services we provide are:
- Mammography, a completely non-invasive exam that utilizes low-dose x-rays to produce high-quality detailed images of the breast. Mammography can often detect breast cancer before it is felt.
- Stereotactic Biopsies, which are most useful when mammography shows a mass, cluster of microcalcifications (tiny grouped calcium deposits), or an area of abnormality, but no lump can be felt.
- Sonography, also called Ultrasound, is an imaging technique that uses high-frequency sound waves to outline specific areas of the breast.
- Ultrasound Guided Core Biopsies, which involves removing small samples of breast tissue using a hollow "core" needle. The samples are examined under a microscope in order to detect the presence of cancer cells.
- Breast MRI, a painless procedure that uses radio waves and powerful magnets linked to a computer to create detailed images of areas inside the body without using any radiation.
- Bone Density (DEXA) examinations, the gold standard for measuring the density of your bones to evaluate bone strength and the potential for bone fractures and osteoporosis.<
Committed to doing all we can to help keep women healthy, Brookhaven Women's Imaging proudly participates in the LI2Day Walk for Breast Cancer, American Cancer Society Jones Beach Walk for Breast Cancer as well as the Spirit of Women Organization in educating women in breast health.
For more information on our services or to schedule an appointment, call 631-654-7448.
Brookhaven Women's Imaging Services
285 Sills Road, Bldg. 5-6, Suite E
East Patchogue, NY