With each program, residents benefit from:
- Electronic Medical Record System.
- New Ambulatory Care Center.
- New Outpatient Radiology Center.
- Salary of $50,000 per year for OGME-1, $52,500 per year for OGME-2, $55,500 per year for OGME-3, $57,500 for OGME-4 and $59,500 for OGME-5.
- 20 (twenty) paid vacation days per year.
- Meal cards each month, allowing for 3 meals per day.
- A monthly $200 stipend (before taxes) to help offset some housing costs (Brookhaven does not provide housing).
- $1,000 reimbursement for conference in third year or higher of program.
- Reimbursement for Board Certification Exam.
- Full reimbursement for New York State Medical license.
- Supplied uniforms (lab coats/lab jackets).
- Book allowance (reimbursement) of $750 per academic year.
- Health insurance (with employee contributions), disability insurance, malpractice, Worker's Compensation insurance and dental and vision benefits (with employee contributions).
- Ample free parking.
- Two on-call rooms available on the second floor of BMHMC for residents on night duty.
- A medical library, open during weekdays and for use after hours and on weekends. It can be accessed electronically with the hospital ID badge.
Family Medicine Program
The primary objective of the Family Medicine Residency Program at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center is to equip each resident for family practice. The opportunity to apply the principles of the osteopathic medical concept and demonstrate an approach to diagnosis, treatment and management of patients will be given to each resident, enabling them to confidently approach the majority of clinical problems to be successful in practice.
It is the purpose of Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center to provide a high-quality and organized education in Family Medicine with strong guidance and supervision of residents by highly qualified administrators, directors, faculty and allied healthcare providers. It is our goal and purpose to educate quality physicians in the field of family medicine with a strong appreciation of all the seven Core Competencies as well as the art and science of the field of medicine to its highest level. The educational program will focus around the components of family medicine including: Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Emergency Medicine and Surgery. The resident’s continuity experience will occur at the newly built, state-of-the-art Brookhaven Hospital Family Medicine Center.
Residents will be provided learning experiences to promote a broad understanding of the role of diagnostic radiology as it relates to other medical disciplines. They will develop measurable objectives to assess their progression during the four-year training program. Residents will be provided with progressive responsibilities commencing with introductory training and progressing to independent professional interpretation and consultation in all modalities of diagnostic radiology. OMT is required of all AOA house staff. Mandated OMT lectures and hands-on workshops occur monthly.
The goals of an osteopathic diagnostic radiology residency training program are to:
- Develop the teaching skills of residents in diagnostic radiology.
- Build interpersonal and communication skills and professional leadership and management skills.
- Develop interest in and understanding of research in diagnostic radiology.
- Prepare the resident to meet certification eligibility requirements of the AOA through the American Osteopathic Board of Radiology.
- Encourage the interest in lifelong learning in medical education and the understanding that lifelong learning and research are essential in diagnostic radiology.
- Demonstrate a commitment to carrying out professional responsibility, adherence to ethical principles and sensitivity to a diverse patient population.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of osteopathic principles and manipulative treatment (OMT) appropriate to the specialty of radiology.
June 23, 2017
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Lobby Renovation
Moments Under Construction Lobby Renovation Capital Campaign was held on Tuesday, June 13th
June 13, 2017
Walking the Walk For Breast Cancer Support!
Team Brookhaven stepped up once again for the annual LI2Day Walk
June 05, 2017
Employee Appreciation BBQ
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center's Annual Employee Appreciation Day celebration took place on June 1
May 30, 2017
Brookhaven Hospital takes the EMS Pledge
Last week was National EMS Week 2017, but BMH's hospital-wide EMS pledge continues indefinitely