Our Department of Nutritional Services coordinates all aspects of nutrition care. We prepare delicious meals that meet the nutritional needs of our patients while considering the various dietary restrictions that may be related to their specific medical conditions. We offer many alternative menu choices and flexibility to improve satisfaction.
Our team of registered dietitians, dietetic technicians, nutritional aides and cooks are available to assist patients with their nutritional concerns from admission to discharge. Team members visit patients daily to take their menu selections and food preferences. Our chefs are eager to cook special meals to promote healthy appetites. In addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks and sandwiches are available to the patients 24 hours per day.
Have a question about our menu? Call 631-654-7775 from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily.
Clinical Nutrition in the Hospital
Nutrition plays an important role in the treatment and prevention of many common diseases. Registered dietitians, as part of the interdisciplinary healthcare team, work closely with the patients and medical staff to provide nutritional care that will promote recovery. They evaluate the patient for special diets or for possible problems that are nutrition related and follow these patients’ progress throughout their stay. The dietitians:
- Identify patients who are malnourished or who are likely to become malnourished while in the hospital.
- Assess and develop a treatment plan for these patients.
- Monitor the patient’s response to the nutrition plan.
- Provide education and counseling on nutrition therapies and lifestyle interventions.
- Assist physicians in choosing the appropriate form of nutrition for patients unable to tolerate food by mouth.
- Participate in community lectures and health fairs.
Our dietitians are available to provide thorough diet education for any condition, including:
- Heart disease
- Stroke or TIA
- Kidney disease
- Weight loss or gain
- Sports nutrition
- Disordered eating
Nutritional counseling is much more than just a diet. The dietitian discusses with you your eating habits and lifestyle and helps you make any changes you may need. Appointments with the dietitian help you incorporate these changes into your routine and improve your chances of success.
- Nutritional counseling is available by appointment and requires a physician referral.
- Our dietitians are registered with the American Dietetic Association, Certified Dietitian Nutritionists with the NYS Department of Education and registered with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Counseling is covered by many insurance plans, depending on the diagnosis.
To make an appointment with a Brookhaven dietitian, call 631-687-2848 or fax us at 631-447-3066.
Have a question about our menu?
Please call 631-654-7775 between 6 a.m.
and 6 p.m.
Has your physician suggested you see a dietitian? To make an appointment with a Brookhaven dietitian, call 631-687-2848 or fax us at 631-447-3066.
- Learn about healthy eating with the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Diet (DASH).
- Find reliable information from the American Dietetic Association.
- Follow these healthy eating tips for children from the American Dietetic Association.
July 11, 2017
2017 Tournament of Tournaments Golf Outing
August 2nd at the Southward Ho Country Club
July 05, 2017
Brookhaven Hospital Hazmat Training
We at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital consistently train for the unexpected incidents that could occur at the Hospital
June 23, 2017
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Lobby Renovation
Moments Under Construction Lobby Renovation Capital Campaign was held on Tuesday, June 13th
June 13, 2017
Walking the Walk For Breast Cancer Support!
Team Brookhaven stepped up once again for the annual LI2Day Walk