The Pastoral Care Department is committed to providing spiritual support for our patients during their stay at our hospital. We aim to:
- Identify the spiritual needs of our patients.
- Provide you with access to spiritual support.
- Manage the human resources of our community (clergy, pastoral care volunteers, Eucharistic ministers) to best serve the spiritual needs of our patients.
The Chapel is located on the first floor on the main corridor and is open to patients and visitors of all faiths seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
The Coordinator of Pastoral Care is available to give spiritual support to all patients and/or their families during rounds or by request.
Clergy of many faiths visit the hospital. In the Volunteer Office, there is a list of community clergy who have registered with the hospital and have agreed to visit with our patients.
Roman Catholic priests visit with patients in the Intensive Care Units and any other Roman Catholic patients upon request to distribute the Sacrament of the Sick. They are also on emergency call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The call list for emergencies is located in the Volunteer Office and the Switchboard Room.
- Jewish: Jewish services are scheduled in the Chapel on appropriate occasions and by request. A rabbi visits with all Jewish patients each week and is also available by request.
- Roman Catholic: Mass is held in the Chapel at noon on Monday, Thursday and Friday. Eucharistic ministers distribute Holy Communion to all Roman Catholic patients wishing to receive Monday through Friday.
Pastoral Care Volunteers
Members of the community who have completed a Pastoral Care Volunteer Training Program may visit patients for prayer and spiritual support. They are also a resource for identifying the spiritual needs of our patients and communicating these needs to the Pastoral Care Department.
To receive a visit from the clergy or a pastoral volunteer:
- Call the Office of Pastoral Care at 631-654-7737 Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Call the Hospital Operator at 631-654-7100.
- Communicate your desire to see a member of the clergy to a Floor Nurse, Pastoral Care Volunteer or Eucharistic Minister.
June 23, 2017
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Lobby Renovation
Moments Under Construction Lobby Renovation Capital Campaign was held on Tuesday, June 13th
June 13, 2017
Walking the Walk For Breast Cancer Support!
Team Brookhaven stepped up once again for the annual LI2Day Walk
June 05, 2017
Employee Appreciation BBQ
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center's Annual Employee Appreciation Day celebration took place on June 1
May 30, 2017
Brookhaven Hospital takes the EMS Pledge
Last week was National EMS Week 2017, but BMH's hospital-wide EMS pledge continues indefinitely